1 can Global Organics black beans, rinsed & drained
¼ cup quinoa cooked to ½ cup water
½ cup bread crumbs
¼ cup roasted capsicum, minced
2 Tbsp onions, finely chopped
1 large clove of garlic, minced
1 ½ tsp ground cumin
1 Tbsp hot paprika relish
1 tsp salt
3 Tbsp olive oil
5 burger buns, salad fillings & toppings
First Published Feb 2013 – Have a recipe you’d like to share? simply email firstname.lastname@example.org
It’s stinking hot at the moment, so this week we’re sharing a recipe from Brooke in Richmond that requires very little baking. We hope you enjoy this Quinoa and Black Bean Burger Recipe, great for those evenings when cooking and eating a heavy meal just isn’t on the cards.
- Wash and drain black beans. Before use, you may want to soak them for a few hours in water with a tsp of bi-carb, to make them easier to digest.
- In a small saucepan cook quinoa in water, turn down to medium-low heat once water is boiling. Cook with lid on until tender and water has been absorbed (approx. 15 mins).
- Roughly mash black beans into a paste with a fork, but leave a few whole beans for texture.
- Using your hands, mix the mashed beans with the quinoa, breadcrumbs, cumin, salt, relish, capsicum, garlic, onion & egg until well combined.
- Using a mold of your choice (a measuring cup works well), shape mixture into 5 patties.
- In a heavy set frying pan, heat the oil, and then cook patties on medium-low heat until cooked through (approx. 3 mins on each side).
- Serve on toasted wholemeal buns with salad fillings and toppings of your choosing. We made our burgers using Romaine (cos) lettuce, grated purple & orange carrot, and cucumber, with lemon mayo and guacamole as toppings.
Enjoy your Quinoa and Black Bean Burgers!