Pesto Quinoa Salad
A colourful, warm and hearty pesto quinoa salad that makes a great veggie-packed lunch or dinner.
Dash of olive oil
Pinch of sea salt
1 shallot, diced
1 cup quinoa, cooked
2 cups brown rice, cooked
1 cup canned corn (or fresh in season)
1 1/2 cups kale or other green, finely chopped
2 cups firm tofu or haloumi, grilled
1 heaped Tbsp basil pesto
1/3 cup pumpkin seeds, toasted
1/4 cup semi sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
A colourful, warm and hearty pesto quinoa salad makes a great veggie-packed lunch or family dinner.
- In a small saucepan with a lid, combine, wash and drain your quinoa and brown rice (they will cook more or less at the same rate).
- Fill the saucepan with water, submerging the grains with about 5 cups of water (or about 2 centimetres on top of grains). With the lid on, boil the quinoa and brown rice on low-medium heat for about 25-30 mins.
- Whether you’re using tofu or haloumi, cut the block into cubes. In a big skillet or deep frying pan, heat a little oil and then fry the tofu or haloumi cubes until browned and/or crispy.
- Add a little more olive oil if needed and salt, then stir in the shallot and cook for a minute or two.
- Stir in the kale, and then the quinoa, rice and corn, and cook until hot and sizzling.
- Remove the skillet from heat and stir in the pesto and pumpkin seeds.
- Turn everything out onto a platter or serving plate, and top with the semi sun-dried tomatoes.
Hints and Tips
When in season use fresh corn and cherry tomatoes. If you cannot get shallots, feel free to use brown or red onion, or spring onion.