Broad Bean Burgers
Fresh broad beans take a little time to prepare, but they are definitely worth the extra effort. Packed with protein, these burgers make a beautiful, tasty but light lunch on a warm Spring day, keeping you going without weighing you down.
Ingredients1 cup peeled broad beans 100g baby spinach leaves, chopped 1 ¼ cup diced potato, boiled 2 Tbsp flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped 40g breadcrumbs (can be rice crumbs for GF option) 1 Tbsp olive oil ½ tsp ground cumin ½ tsp turmeric ½ tsp ground coriander 1 egg Salt and pepper to taste
- Extract beans from their pods. Blanch them in boiling water for a few mins to more easily remove the lighter green skins on the beans, and to soften them up at bit.
- Blanch the spinach leaves in boiling water for a few mins, drain, rinse in cold water and squeeze to remove excess water. Chop finely.
- Combine beans, boiled potato, spinach, parsley, spices, breadcrumbs, egg, salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl and mash with a fork until the mixture binds.
- Refrigerate mixture for 30 mins to bind. In a frying pan heat some oil and fry the mixture in little patty shaped blobs until cooked over medium heat, so they cook slowly.
- Serve on a bed of lettuce with lemon wedges. A side dollop of good quality whole egg mayo is optional to add a creamy textural element to the dish.