Spiced Pear Tart
Pears come into season just as the autumn cold hits us, so what better way to enjoy them than in this warm baked dessert!
- 1 cup flour
- 60g butter, chilled & diced.
- pinch of salt
- water, chilled
- 6 pears
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- Juice of one lemon
- ¼ cup of jam
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- Preheat oven to 180’c.
- To make pastry put flour in food processor, add butter.
- Pulse until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add water by drops and pulse until mixture forms small balls. Do not overmix. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead lightly.
- Wrap and chill for at least 15 minutes.
- Line a loose-bottomed tart pan with the rolled out dough.
- Use a fork and pierce the bottom of dough all over.
- Bake the dough for 10 minutes.
- Peel, core and slice the pears.
- Place the pear slices in a saucepan with 30ml (2 tbsp) of water.
- Cover and simmer for about 2-3 minutes, until the pears are just soft.
- Add the lemon juice along with jam, cinnamon and mixed spice. Cook on a low heat for another 1-2 minutes.
- Strain any excess liquid off with a sieve and arrange pears in pantry shell, sprinkling sugars inbetween layers and on top.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until golden brown on top.
You can order organic pears when in season, along with many other groceries from our webstore.
Hints and Tips
Delicious served with ice cream!