Spanish crunchy baby potatoes
The weather is cooling down in Melbourne, so I say bring on the winter warmers! These potatoes work well as a side dish for dinner. Or serve them on their own as a snack with aioli! Delicious.
- 15-20 baby potatoes, washed
- 1 tbsp mixed herbs
- 1 tbsp sweet smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 200’c.
- Prepare a roasting tray with 1 tbsp of olive oil, place in oven to heat.
- Place potatoes in a pot and cover with boiling water, add a pinch of salt. Cover and bring to boil then reduce to simmer. You only need to parboil the potatoes so cook till you can stick a fork through but not break it open, this should take about 7 – 9 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and drain water from pot completely.
- Then with the lid still on, shake the potatoes in order to ‘roughen them up’. This will help to create a crunchier coat. If they don’t break up easily then very lightly press then once with a potato masher. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- In a plastic bag* add the mixed herbs, paprika and salt. When potatoes have cooled add to plastic bag, twist top and shake up to cover potatoes.
- Finally, empty bag to preheated roasting tray, spread out potatoes evenly and drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil, return tray to oven.
- Bake the potatoes for about 45 minutes. Half way through the cooking time, turn them over to ensure they are cooking evenly.
- They’ll be golden/crispy on outside and nice tender potato on the inside, season with salt and serve while still warm.
*any plastic bag will do, small, clean and dry.