Gluten-free chocolate pear cake
The perfect home for your pears! Another contribution from the talented Emma Galloway from her blog My Darling Lemon Thyme.
- 2 large ripe pears (600g)
- 3/4 cup (110g) potato starch
- 3/4 cup (100g) brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp (35g) cocoa powder
- 1 cup (200g) brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup (40g) linseed meal (ground linseed)
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup (250ml) vegetable oil
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
Chocolate orange icing
- 1 1/2 cups of pure icing sugar
- 4 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 4 Tbsp melted margarine/oil
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- boiling water to thin
- Preheat oven to 180 C/350-375 F. Grease a 22cm (9inch) cake tin and line the base with a round of baking paper. Set aside.
- Grate the pears over a plate. Discarding any large pieces of skin that wont grate. Pour grated pear into a sieve over a bowl and let any excess liquid drain off. (pour juice into a glass and enjoy chef, go on its yum!)
- Sift dry ingredients into a large bowl. Stir in grated pear, linseed meal, eggs, oil and vanilla. Mix well. Pour into cake tin and bake for about 45 mins or until a skewer comes out clean when pushed into the centre of cake.
- Leave in the tin at least 5-10mins before turning out onto a cooling rack to cool. Ice with Jaffa icing once completely cool, eat and enjoy!
- To make icing sift the icing sugar and cocoa into a medium bowl, add melted dairy-free spread/butter, zest and juice. Mix adding enough boiling water to achieve a good smooth spreadable consistency.
You can order organic pears when in season, along with many other groceries from our webstore.