mayonnaise – makes 1 1/4 cups
- 1 1/4 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup good quality soy milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 1 cup mild flavoured vegetable oil, such as sunflower or grapeseed
- 1.5 kg (approx 12-15) small or baby potatoes (such as desirree or kipfler), cut into bite sized chunks
- 2 red onions, halved lengthways and cut into thick wedges
- 8 cloves garlic, ends cut off, skins on
- olive oil, to lightly coat
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt flakes
- 1 1/2 tsp pepper
- handful of fresh green beans
- 2- 3 handfuls of baby spinach, watercress or rocket
- extra chopped dill to garnish
When the days are warm, this variation of a classic potato salad is an excellent companion to any picnic or bbq. Made with a creamy egg-free soy mayonnaise and a blend of avocado and fresh dill, it can be served as a side dish or puffed up with handfuls of fresh spinach, watercress or rocket for a more substantial main dish.
- Preheat oven to 200℃. Place cut potatoes, onion and garlic into a roasting dish. Lightly coat with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast for 30-40 minutes or until tender and golden. Turn two or three times to ensure an even roast.
- While potatoes are roasting, prepare mayonnaise.
- To make mayonaise, add vinegar to soy milk and wait for 5-10 minutes until curdled. Place curded soy milk, salt and mustard powder in a food processor or blender and blend until combined.
- With the motor still running, drizzle oil in very very slowly. After a few minutes the mixture should reach a thick and creamy consistency. Add avocado and fresh dill and blend until just combined and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Once potatoes, onion and garlic are roasted, allow to cool and squeeze garlic cloves from skins and cut in half.
- While potatoes are cooling, blanch green beans. Bring a small pot of water to a boil and add beans for two minutes. Remove beans and add to ice cold water for a few minutes. Drain beans.
- Transfer to a large bowl along with cooled potatoes, onion and garlic and mix through avocado mayonnaise.
- Lightly fold spinach, watercress or rocket just before serving to retain the freshness of the greens and avoid bruising.
- Season with additional salt and pepper if desired and garnish with extra chopped dill.