A beautiful condiment that goes well with most dishes. It can be used as a condiment or stirred into sauces, soups or stew for a bit of extra heat.
• 2 hot red chillis
• 2 red capsicums grilled and skinned
• 2 cloves garlic
• 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
• ½ teaspoon coriander seed
• sea salt
• A pinch of sugar
• A pinch of smoked paprika
• olive oil
1. Chop the chillies coarsely, retaining some of the seeds (depending on how hot they are and how hot you want your harissa to be).
2. Chop the capsicums coarsly.
3. In a mortar, combine the chillies with the seeds, paprika, garlic, cumin, coriander. Add sugar and salt to taste.
4. Pound to a smooth paste, adding a little olive oil.
5. Add the chopped capsicum and pound well until amalgamated into the mixture.
6. Mix in a little olive oil untill you have the desired smoothness.
7. Cover with a layer of olive oil to “seal” the paste. Enjoy your harissa!