Aubergines Farcies (Stuffed Eggplant)
Prepping our palates for some cooler weather, we thought we’d share this hearty stuffed eggplant recipe with you.
400g beef, turkey or veg mince of choice
2 large eggplants
1 can Spiral Foods Diced Tomatoes
1 large brown onion, chopped
2 large cloves garlic, minced
6 Tbsp Mt Zero Olive Oil
1 tsp paprika, ½ tsp chilli powder & 2 tsp basil leaves
Salt and pepper
2 stock cubes (chicken or vego)
1 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
100g True Organic Cheddar, grated
Brown rice to serve
It’s the season for delicious plump purple aubergines. Prepping our palates for some cooler weather, we thought we’d share this hearty stuffed eggplant recipe with you. Thanks to Nat in North Melbourne for this one!
- Preheat oven to 210˚C. Rinse eggplants and cut them in half, long ways. Using a sharp knife, scour the inside parts in a crisscross pattern, cutting deeply but without piercing the skin.
- Sprinkle with salt and leave halves to sweat out excess moisture.
- Into a deep-set frying pan, add 4 tablespoons of olive oil. Fry chopped onion, garlic and spices on high heat. Once browned, add mince, stirring now and then for 8 mins.
- Using paper towels, dry eggplants and shake off excess salt. Using a small but sharp knife cut a deep line around the inside of the aubergine halves. With a tablespoon, scoop the cubed eggplant flesh out and transfer to the mince mixture for cooking.
- Add can of diced tomato, 1 stock cube (dissolved in cup of boiling water) and cracked pepper to the frying pan. Stir, then turn heat down to medium-low and cover pan with a lid. Cook for another 10 mins. Remove lid and reduce for a further 2-3 mins.
- Turn heat off and stir in chopped parsley. In a baking tray place eggplant halves, fill with mince mixture and grate cheddar on top.
- Dissolve another stock cube in a cup of boiling water with remaining olive oil (2 Tbsp) and pour into baking tray, bathing eggplant halves.
- Bake in oven for 40 mins. Serve with brown rice & garnish with parsley. Enjoy!