Asian style vegan and gluten free daikon fritters, great for a healthy and fast springtime lunch with salad.
1 medium-large daikon, peeled and grated
1/2 cup besan (chickpea) flour
1 tsp crushed ginger
1/2 cup spring onion or leek
Small handful fresh coriander, chopped
Dash of tamari or soy sauce
Water to bind
Oil for frying
Lemon slices to serve
Asian style vegan and gluten free daikon fritters are great for a healthy and fast springtime lunch with salad.
- Peel and grate the daikon, chop up the leek or spring onion and coriander, and pop them into a mixing bowl. Add the ginger and dash of soy sauce or tamari and mix. Then add the besan (chickpea) flour and add water to measure to create a sticky batter by giving the ingredients a good mix, removing all lumps.
- Cover the base of a frying pan or skillet with a good high smoking point oil such as light olive oil or peanut oil, and turn it on to high-medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot, drop spoonfuls of the fritter batter into the hot pan, and flatten with a spatula. Fry until golden brown, flip and repeat. It should only take about 3-4 minutes per side. If your fritters are browning too fast, turn the heat down a little to avoid burning the sides and leaving the centre gooey.
- When cooked through, remove from heat and place your fritter on some paper towel to drain.
- Serve with a soy and rice vinegar dipping sauce, or just some freshly cut lemon wedges.
Hints and Tips
For a nice dipping sauce combine 2 Tbsp soy sauce, , Tbsp rice wine vinegar, and a few drops of chilli oil.