Potato and Pea Vegetarian Croquettes
A spin on the traditional potato croquettes, the inclusion of fresh peas and spring onion make these a perfect little spring starter. They will keep well uncooked in the fridge overnight so are a great option if you’re entertaining and want to cut down prep time.
700g potato (about 4-5 medium sized), peeled and cooked
1/2 cup freshly shelled or frozen green peas
3 tbsp chopped spring onion
4 tbsp grated Pecorino or Parmesan
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup dried breadcrumbs
vegetable oil, for frying
1/2 cup unsweetened natural yoghurt
2 tbsp chopped fresh mint
1 tbsp lemon juice
- In a large mixing bowl give the cooked potato a quick mash. Don’t worry about getting it perfectly smooth, leave it a bit rough and chunky.
- Place peas in a small bowl or measuring cup and cover with boiling water. Leave to sit for a minute, drain and refresh in cold water. Add half of the peas to the potato and mash or process the remaining 1/4 cup with a splash of olive oil till you get a chunky pea puree. Add this to the potato along with the spring onion, pecorino, eggs and half of the breadcrumbs. Season well with freshly ground black pepper and salt flakes and mix to combine the ingredients.
- Scatter the remaining breadcrumbs over your work surface and shape the mixture into fat oval shaped patties, about 7cm long. Roll each croquette in the breadcrumbs to cover and place in the fridge for 15-30 minutes to firm up.
- Pour enough vegetable oil into your frying pan to just about cover the croquettes and heat over a medium-high element. To test if the oil is hot enough, place the end of a wooden chopstick on the bottom of the pan, if the oil sizzles and bubbles around it, it’s good to go. Shallow fry the croquettes for 3-5 minutes, turning to get an even, golden brown coating. Carefully remove each croquette from the oil with tongs or a slotted spoon and drain on absorbent paper.
- For the sauce, mix together the yoghurt, mint and lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper. Serve alongside the croquettes. Potato and Pea croquettes with minted yoghurt sauce! Enjoy your vegetarian croquettes!
Hints and Tips
Makes approx. 16 croquettes.