Vegetarian carbonara with collard greens is a healthy twist on a quick-to-make family favourite.
1 small onion, sliced
3 Tbsp olive oil
450g kale or other collard green, washed and thinly shredded
1 tsp smoked paprika (pimentón)
350g spaghetti or other long pasta
2 eggs, beaten
½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
Salt and black pepper, to taste
Vegetarian carbonara with collard greens is a healthy twist on an easy-to-make family favourite.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil, add a more than decent pinch of rock salt and then, when boiled, add your pasta.
- In a large sauté pan, warm the oil over medium-low heat and add the onion. Let them slowly sweat.
- Meanwhile wash and shred the kale or other collard green of your choice. Remove any big and obvious chunks of stem.
- In a bowl, beat together the eggs with the cheese, a good pinch of salt, and plenty of black pepper.
- Turn the heat up on the onions to medium-high and add the smoked paprika and shredded kale. Give it all a good stir fry, and add a dash or two of water to help the paprika fry nicely with the other ingredients. Add more salt at this stage if required.
- Cook the pasta until al dente and then drain, saving a cup of the cooking water to thicken your sauce.
- Toss the pasta into the veggie mixture and give it a good mix.
- Off the heat, add the egg mixture and stir vigorously, letting the heat from the pasta thicken the eggs. Add a little of the cooking water to thicken the sauce if needed.
- Taste, adjust seasoning with salt, pepper or cheese, and serve.