Spicy Roasted Pumpkin Soup with pumpkin seeds
Preheat oven to 190˚C. Peel, clean out & cut pumpkin into pieces. Place with unpeeled garlic cloves on a baking tray & toss to coat with a drizzle of olive …
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 leek, chopped
1 onion, chopped
4-5 cloves of garlic
1kg peeled & cut pumpkin
1L vegetable stock
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp ground coriander
½ tsp ground nutmeg
Ground cayenne pepper to taste (optional)
Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 190˚C. Peel, clean out & cut pumpkin into pieces. Place with unpeeled garlic cloves on a baking tray & toss to coat with a drizzle of olive oil. Bake until soft, removing garlic after 20 mins so it doesn’t burn
- Fry onion, leek and spices in a large pot over medium heat until browned. Add roasted pumpkin and stock. Bring to the boil and then reduce to simmer to evaporate some of the stock, making a thicker soup
- Remove from heat & squeeze the contents of the roasted garlic into the pot, and puree with a handheld blender. Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Serve with a dollop of cream, a sprinkle of chopped coriander, a few roasted pumpkin seeds (I use store-bought ones) and a pinch of cardamom.
- For tastiest results, serve with good quality bread – crusty, warm and buttered.
You can order organic pumpkin when in season, along with many other groceries from our webstore.
Hints and Tips
Optional: ground cardamom, cream, fresh coriander & roasted pumpkin seeds