Red Lentil Carrot and Pumpkin Soup
Sandie Hernandez’s Red Lentil Carrot and Pumpkin Soup, a hearty vegan soup from her new vegetarian cookbook Three Bowls.
1/2 cup split red lentils, washed and rinsed 4 times then soaked for 30 mins in a small pot
1 brown onion, diced
2 carrots, diced
2 cups of pumpkin in large pieces
1 small potato, diced
3 ripe tomatoes, diced (or 1/2 tin of organic tomatoes)
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp coriander seeds
Extra virgin coconut oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Juice of 1/2 lemon
A few coriander leaves
Sandie Hernandez’s Red Lentil Carrot and Pumpkin Soup, a hearty vegan soup from her new vegetarian cookbook Three Bowls. You can order a copy of Three Bowls online from Bee Sustainable, or contact Sandie directly by email.
- Place covered pot of lentils on the stove with a pinch of cumin seeds. Bring to the boil over medium heat and simmer until lentils are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a soup pot, heat the coconut oil over low heat.
- Stir in the onions and sauté until the onions smell sweet and are tender.
- Add the spices, a small pinch of salt and a few grindings of pepper.
- Sauté for a few minutes until the fragrance of the spices is released.
- Stir in tomatoes, simmer for a few minutes before adding the vegetables.
- Gently combine everything in the pot so that the spices are evenly spread.
- Cover to about 1 inch over the vegetables with room temperature filtered water, place the lid and bring to simmering over low heat.
- Move the lid to the side to allow space for steam and continue to cook until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Remove lid and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- If eating immediately, stir in lemon juice and coriander leaves and serve it up. Otherwise allow to cool and refrigerate, adding lemon juice and coriander after heating.