Mini Asparagus and Leek Quiches
These Mini Asparagus and Leek Quiches are little cheesy seasonal delights, perfect for lunch boxes and afternoon teas.
1-2 sheets (approx 200g) ready made shortcrust pie pastry
Or make your own (1 1/2 cups plain flour, 1/4 tsp salt, 125g diced chilled butter, 2-3 Tbsp iced water)
1 tablespoon butter
1 leek, halved and thinly sliced
1 bunch asparagus, tough ends removed, thinly sliced on a diagonal line.
5 free range eggs
Salt and ground pepper
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 cup shredded organic cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius, moving the oven rack to the lowest position.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat, then add the leek and asparagus, stirring occasionally until cooked through and nicely browned (about 6-8 minutes). Remove from heat and let the veggies cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, 1/2 teaspoon salt and ground pepper, and a pinch of nutmeg.
- If you’re making your own pie crust, process all pastry ingredients in a food processor, then knead until smooth. Then cover and place in the fridge for 10 mins.
- Roll cool dough out into a large sheet of pastry. Using a large round container (like a 1 cup measuring cup), cut mini quiche pastry crusts out and place in a muffin baking tray.
- Sprinkle a small layer of grated cheddar cheese on the quiche crusts, then top with some asparagus mixture. Pour egg mixture on top.
- Bake until the asparagus and leek quiches are just set, 50 to 60 minutes. Serve with a nice green or grated carrot salad.
Hints and Tips
For a gluten free version, use or make your own gluten free pastry. To make your own, you’ll need 2 cups (300g) of gluten-free plain flour – 150g butter, chilled, cubed – Pinch of salt – 1 egg
Mix flour, butter and salt in a food processor until mixture forms crumbs. Process with an egg and 1-2 Tbsp cold water. Knead until smooth. Refrigerate covered for 10 minutes.