Brussel Sprouts and Almonds
Sweet, salty and buttery Brussel Sprouts and Almonds, if you’re not a fan of Brussel Sprouts, this dish will convert you to these mini cabbage wonders.
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1kg Brussel Sprouts
1 heaped Tbsp organic butter
1 heaped Tbsp organic honey, dissolved in 1/3 cup of warm water
Dash organic olive oil
Sea salt to taste
I recently had dinner at Hell of The North in Fitzroy and was blown away by a Brussel Sprout and Almond dish we had there. Since, I’ve been tinkering in the ol’ kitchen trying desperately to replicate this sweet, salty, nutty and buttery mouth party that I so haphazardly stumbled across by accident.
Brussel Sprouts are so ‘in’ right now that we can’t get enough organic ones to stuff our set boxes with – so they’ve only been available as an extra in the fruit n veg section of our webstore this season.
- In a pot, boil whole Brussel Sprouts for about 10 minutes to soften before frying.
- In a non-stick frying pan, dry roast slivered almonds until browned and fragrant. Remove and set aside.
- In a small cup, add 1/3 warm water and dissolve honey and salt to taste. Should be equally balanced in salty/sweetness.
- Once the Brussel sprouts have softened, drain and cut into halves.
- In a frying pan on high heat, melt the butter until bubbling and a little burnt. Add a dash of good quality organic olive oil, then throw in your Brussel sprout halves, stir frying and browning for about 2-3 minutes.
- Still on high heat add the salty honey water mixture and reduce to a sticky sauce that coats the sprouts. This should only take a minute. If you taste the sauce and a sprout and you find it’s not sweet or salty enough add what is needed.
- Turn off heat and then toss roasted almond slivers throughout.
- Serve hot.