Banana & Muesli Breakfast Cake
Making a healthy, low-fat and dairy free muesli cake is a great way to use up over-ripe bananas.
Ingredients1 cup muesli (or oats/bran) 1 cup wholemeal flour 1 heaped tsp of baking powder 1 tsp ground dried ginger 1 tsp ground cinnamon 1 tsp ground nutmeg 4 sm/med very ripe bananas 2 large eggs 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Peel your bananas, ensuring you’re picking the most ripe of the bunch. If there’s any bruising don’t worry, as this makes them ideal for baking. Break them up into quarters, putting them in a medium sized bowl.
- Add the eggs and oil, then mash or blend using a hand-held blender.
- To a larger mixing bowl, add the muesli, flour, baking powder and spices. Combine well.
- Pour the banana mixture into the dry ingredients, stirring until combined.
- Pour the cake mixture into a round or square baking dish lined with non-stick baking paper.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes (should be brown on top and bounces back slightly when touched. A skewer inserted may not come out clean, as the banana content will make the cake a little wetter than other varieties).
- As this cake is light on flour and full of banana, it will not cook light and fluffy like a sponge cake. It can take longer for a cake like this to cook and set.
- However, the result will be a sticky and moist cake that really highlights the spiced banana flavour. You should still get little chunks of warm and gooey banana.
- Serve for breakfast with a yoghurt of your choice.