Background to CERES
CERES Fair Food Delivery Driver/Packer
CERES is an environmental community organisation in East Brunswick. It is located on 4 hectares of land on the banks of the Merri Creek and has become an icon of locally based education and action on environmental and social-justice issues.
Projects encompassed within CERES include local and community projects (e.g., Community Gardens and Chook Group, Bicycle Users Group), educational programs for schools (both environmental and cultural), accredited training and work-experience programs, non-profit income generating programs (café, nursery and the market), recreational activities and courses for adults and children, celebratory festivals (including the Kingfisher Festival, Harvest Festival) and a volunteer program.
Background and Aim of the Position
CERES Fair Food is an exciting social enterprise aiming to build a more resilient food supply system. The service has a number of key objectives, which are to:
- Reduce the food miles associated with food shopping
- Build a more locally based, self-reliant food economy
- Work with and support local growers who use sustainable farming methods
- Give city workers easy access to affordable organic food
We are rapidly expanding and are now looking for reliable, punctual part-time driver/packers who have a positive, ‘can do’ attitude and outlook. You will have previous driving experience in Melbourne, preferably in a role which is time critical, so you will need to be able to think on your feet and have a certain amount of flexibility. This role also requires someone with a friendly disposition as there will be some customer contact and it’s important that you able to develop and sustain relationships.
In return we offer a fun and supportive environment in which to work. You will be playing a key part in an exciting, dynamic and completely ethical organisation that is a force for social change.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Pack and collate fresh produce and grocery orders
- Transport fresh produce from warehouse to various locations across Melbourne
- Lift and carry boxes and eskies containing quantities of fresh produce , dried goods and fridge items
- Collect bulk fresh produce from growers & wholesale markets
- Deliver packed fresh produce and grocery orders to customers
- Pack and deliver fruit to corporate customers
- Drive delivery truck and/or van in accordance with road rules
- Help out with general packing jobs when required
- Be the ‘face’ of CERES Fair Food
- Additional tasks as directed by leading hand and delivery coordinators
Skills, Experience, and Qualities Important to Position (Selection Criteria)
- Current Victorian Drivers License
- Forklift License an asset
- Must be able to drive manual
- Reliable and punctual
- Fit and healthy
- Excellent people/communication/interpersonal skills
- Ability to prioritise and work through problems in a calm manner
- Some basic computer skills
- Enthusiastic and a team player
- Good knowledge of Melbourne and its suburbs
- Strong attention to detail with a systematic approach
- Capacity to work independently, self motivated
- Basic literacy and numeracy
- Ability to read maps and use Melways and/or GPS
- Basic verbal English language skills
- Interest in fresh produce industry and sustainable agriculture
- Interest in environmental and social justice issues would be great
- Experience and commitment to customer service
- Ability to work unsupervised
- Organized, efficient and presentable
Conditions of Employment
- This is a casual position with the aim of becoming permanent part-time.
- Weekly working hours will be between 12 and 21 hours per week.
- Wage level is Grade 3 of the MA000038 Road Transport and Distribution Award 2010.
- $21.40 per hour.
- This position sits within the Farm & Market Team, reporting to the Food Host Manager and is ultimately accountable to the CERES Management Committee.
- Other conditions are described in the CERES Work Agreement and CERES Human Resource Policy.
To Apply for this Position
Submit an application including details of:
- Your Response to the Selection Criteria
- Previous work experience
- Indication of involvement and/or commitment to environmental and social justice issues
- Curriculum Vitae
- Three Referees
Please forward applications to:
CERES Fair Food 6/198 Beavers Road Northcote, Vic, 3070
Or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close Wednesday 5th September at 5pm.