Our Buying Policy for Organic Produce
First, we grow it ourselves
We source seasonal, organic produce grown on the CERES Organic Farm in Brunswick East and Coburg.We grow herbs; basil, coriander, continental parsley, dill, mint, leafy greens; lettuce, bok choi, silverbeet, chard, kale, spinach and other vegetables; tomatoes, spring onions, zucchini, cucumber and some interesting crops like nettles, milk thistle, rappa, and leaf amaranth.
Second, we buy from our neighbours
We buy from backyard growers like Pete, a CERES community gardener, who has been providing CERES with his home-grown lemons, persimmons and figs for 12 years.
Third, we go to local farmers
We buy directly from as many local growers as we can find. Some of the local growers we proudly buy direct from are… click here…
Fourth, we carefully source from wholesale agents
Then we buy through wholesale agents at the Melbourne Markets where we seek out local organic produce before we buy from outside Victoria. And of course our bananas, sweet potato and ginger come from Northern New South Wales and Queensland.
Our Buying Policy For Organic Groceries
- Organic and Bio-dynamic: We only sell goods that are certified organic, unless otherwise clearly stated. Organic certification prohibits the use of genetically modified ingredients. Organic also includes the humane treatment of animals, and excludes the use of growth hormones, and includes the good treatment of hens. So organic eggs are certified free range eggs.
- Local: Keeping food miles low, we support local farmers and artisans, helping secure our local food systems into the future.
- Prioritising Australian Made & Grown: Sourcing items that are sustainably grown and produced in Australia.
- Minimal Packaging: We offer bulk buying options. Bulk buying not only lowers your shopping dollar it also eliminates unnecessary waste and reduces your need to travel to and from a supermarket every week.
- Community Social Support: Support Fair Trade enterprises overseas with items such as coffee and chocolate.
- GM Free: We support farmers committed to ecological farming that promotes biological diversity and does not contaminate the environment with chemicals and GE-organisms.
- Palm Oil Free: We try to avoid products that contain palm oil, unless it can be proven to be coming from a certified sustainable source.
- Dietary: Providing alternatives for dietary needs.
- Imported Products: There are imported items in the webstore, however, we are constantly looking into other options and better alternatives. Suggestions are always welcome, please email us at email@example.com